Our purpose is to provide quality yoga instruction. In 2020, under new ownership, Downward Dog Yoga Centre has made a deeper commitment to diversity, accessibility and community. This commitment extends to our physical space, our staff and our classes and trainings.
Downward Dog Yoga Centre acknowledges our home on the sacred and traditional territories of the Anishinabek, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nations, Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat. We acknowledge that Toronto (Tkaronto) is covered by Treaty 13, signed with the Mississaugas of the Credit and the Williams Treaty signed with multiple Mississaugas and Chippewa bands.
We also acknowledge the unjust harm of all Indigenous nations and racialized communities by generations of imperial domination, colonialism, displacement and cultural genocide. We acknowledge all who came before us, all Black and Indigenous Ancestors of the territories we inhabit, and we extend our gratitude and respect.
We stand with Black and Indigenous people in solidarity, collaboration, mutual support and resilience. We commit ourselves to confronting, challenging, and uprooting the powers of racism and colonialism at all levels of our personal, social, and collective spaces.
Downward Dog Yoga Centre follows the traditions of T Krishnamacharya, TKV Desikachar and K Pattabhi Jois. We are an Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga studio, founded my Diane Bruni and Ron Reid in 1997.
Accessibility + Diversity
Our physical space
We are located on the second floor of 30 Ossington Avenue. The studio is 23 steps from the ground floor. Our space offers:
- Four all-gender change stalls.
- Four all-gender washrooms (two to be completed).
- Two all-gender showers and change stalls (to be completed).
- 30+ multipurpose lockable storage lockers (to be completed).
- Complimentary use of props in class: yoga blocks, dowels, bolsters, blankets and yoga straps.
- Scholarships to our trainings and workshops for those who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour, 2SLGBTQIA+ and differently abled.
- Sliding scale prices for our classes
- Free community class options
- Live stream options