Spring Pea & Mint Quinoa Risotto
Recipe by Sheri McConaghie of Ananda Nutrition
6 cups of homemade chicken bone broth/stock
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp of butter (optional)
1 medium shallot, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup white quinoa, rinsed
250ml of white wine
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup grated parmesan (use the rind during cooking for extra flavour)
Juice & zest of 1 lemon
Kosher salt & black pepper
1 tbsp each chopped parsley and mint
1. Warm bone broth in a saucepan, keep at a low simmer, lid on.
2. In a separate broad pan, heat a teaspoon of oil on medium heat. Add the shallots, season with salt and pepper, sauté ~3mins.
3. Add the garlic and the rinsed quinoa and stir well for a minute until the quinoa is thoroughly coated in the butter.
4. Add white wine and stir to deglaze the pan until absorbed.
5. Add a ladle of stock. As with traditional risotto, stir in a few ladles at a time as the quinoa absorbs the stock. No need to hover over the pot as you would have to with rice risotto. Continue for ~8mins until quinoa is tender but still has a bit of bite to it.
6. Once tender, turn off the heat, stir in your peas & mint and optionally add another ladle of stock (if you want a more ‘saucy’ risotto) and butter.
7. Stir in grated cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Top risotto with the parsley, more parm and a drizzle of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).
For a Vegetarian version, use a homemade vegetable stock instead of chicken bone broth.
For the vegetables, you can use any seasonal veg including broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, spinach or kale.
Looking to reduce carbohydrates? Try using cauliflower rice in place of quinoa. For added flavour, sauté pancetta (prior to shallots) and set aside and add with toppings.
Sheri McConaghie is the founder of Ananda Nutrition, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, and Certified Yoga Teacher. As a holistic nutritionist, Sheri’s goal is to to share her love of natural health, the healing powers of food and choosing a more healthy approach to living. Her passion continues to be fuelled every day by the hope to inspire others to live a healthier, happier life. Try new recipes, learn new things and choose happiness. This life journey can be one of immense joy, if you allow yourself to be in tune with your body and focus on the positive elements in your life. For a customized nutritional profile/group sessions, upcoming workshops and more recipes like this one, follow Sheri on Instagram @ anandanutrition