Josh CohenJosh Cohen – My style of teaching is representative of what I view to be the essence of every spiritual practice —  mindfulness. In mindfulness we learn to become aware of where movement and breath originate and how to remove the obstacles that prevent our self-experience from being a flowing and dynamic process rather than being something that is rigid and solid. In my classes, the emphasis is placed on being aware of the relationship between being and doing. Many of us are overactive, both neurologically and physically, and taking the time to relax into the experience of effortlessness is what makes the practice so restorative in nature.

Having been a full-time student for seven years after graduating from high school, I recognized that my mind was tilted too far over to the left hemisphere. I was always thinking, being analytical. When I tried my first few yoga classes, I immediately felt more balanced and at ease within myself. The thinking mind, while still strong, had found an outlet to rest via the union of movement and breath that is yoga. Soon thereafter, I gravitated towards the meditative side of the practice as I found it to be the most efficient way to calm my mind and centre my attention in the present moment. The more that I would meditate, the more I would also realize the importance of taking care of the body physically through asana. How mind and body are One.

I am inspired by nature and its endless wisdom. Having invested many years in the scholarly phase of acquiring information, ideas, philosophies, etc. I now find myself less of a student of mankind and more and more being drawn to observe the teachings of Mother Nature. This shift, from the thinking mind to the feeling-awareness-insight of the body’s sensate wisdom, is foremost in what I endeavour to awaken and convey to the students and fellow seekers that I encounter.